Most of us will need to ride or carriage drive on the road at some point. It is important to keep ourselves and our horses safe when out on the roads. We have put together some helpful tips and advice for equestrians when heading out.
- Please familiarise yourself with the Highway Code rules to ensure you follow their guidance on how you should behave on the road and interact with other road users.
- Be alert, smile and make eye contact with drivers, thanking any who make an effort to accommodate you and your horse.
- Both you and your horse should wear Hi-Viz and reflective equipment. We would advise a minimum of a tabard or jacket for a rider, and leg bands for the horse.
- Let someone know where you are going and what time you expect to be back.
- Keep your mobile phone on you for use in an emergency. Although please remember that it is not safe to use your phone whilst on the roads.
- Remember to use the appropriate hand signals to make other road users of your intentions to manoeuvre.
- Report any incidents of dangerous or irresponsible driving to The British Horse Society https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/safety/report-an-incident and the police.